Monday, August 19, 2013

Egocentric Faith

My definition of Egocentric faith is simple.  Anyone who believes that God has fully revealed himself correctly to you and somehow everyone else's version of who they think God is must be distorted because they don't have the relationship that you have with God.

I was once told by a Christian that he would pray for me to have a stronger relationship with Christ like he does, simply because I disagreed with his understanding of how the US military should be responding to Israel during these tumultuous times.  Really?  So my personal opinion on one matter being different from you makes my relationship with Christ somehow not as good as yours?  It baffles my mind to think there are so many people in the world that are so convinced that they are right about everything and everybody else is wrong.  It's something I just have no ability to wrap my head around.

Don't get me wrong, I see the need in some to believe that way.  I just find it incredibly ignorant and egocentric.

This is why one of the cornerstones of my faith is that I could be wrong about everything.  I like to think I am humble enough (At least in this area of my life) to know that I don't know everything, and when you study church history, you will find MANY people much closer to God who have been wrong about a LOT of things.  And sometimes so wrong that some of their actions in my opinion resulted in murder, torture, sexism, racism, and slavery.  If they could be so wrong, then how on earth could I possibly be so sure of my beliefs without being ignorant or egocentric?

So whatever I believe or say in this blog, please take with a grain of salt.  As I am simply a guy trying to make sense of the most difficult questions in the universe.  I hardly hold the magic key to eternal truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment